Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Pocket Presents

This Christmas I made a lot of my presents. One of the reasons for this was because, well quite frankly I don't have a job and therefore am pretty low on the old pennies. But also, because there is something so lovely about making things for people and giving a little piece of your time and energy in the form of a small delightful gift.

For my three brothers I made t-shirts upon which I have sewn a pocket made from beautiful liberty print fabrics. They came out pretty well and I was pretty eager to share, so here you are...


step 1: trace around a shirt pocket using tracing paper. Cut out and draw on the a piece of cardboard.  Extend the top 3cm and the edges 1cm for folding flaps. Cut this out and use as you template.




step 2: Using a white pencil or fabric marker, trace around the template on to your pocket fabric. (Iron out fabric first to insure everything is straight and not creased.




step 3: Fold the edges over and iron down to make it easier to sew later.






step 5: Fold in small triangle at the bottom two edges to shape the pocket. Again, iron flat to make for easier sewing.

step 6: Pin pocket to the t-shirt, being careful not to crease the t-shirt fabric or gather any material.

step 7: Using the sewing machine, sew the pockets on staying as close to the edge as possible.



You should now have a unique t-shirt with a beautiful pocket!

Here are my end products:



No comments:

Post a Comment